Our Mission:

Our Mission:

Friday, July 13, 2007

Education Versus Energy


In the latest edition of Yogi Times Business, Jonathan Fields tackles the controversial topic of Valuing Teachers’ Education Versus Energy. At the risk of over-generalizing, a seasoned teacher has most likely studied yoga in India or with master teachers, practiced and taught for a long time and fully embodies the yogic lifestyle; whereas a newer teacher may have less expertise but provides a freshness and enthusiasm for the practice of yoga, infusing it with personality and physical agility. I fall into the latter category. Although I know that I have a lot to offer my students, if I compare myself to senior teachers, then I feel pangs of inadequacy. However, Fields provocatively examines who is bringing in more students and what type of teacher is worth more in terms of compensation and reputation from a studio owner’s standpoint. What do you value more, a teacher’s education or energy?
Photo by Jonathan Pozniak