Our Mission:

Our Mission:

Friday, August 10, 2007

The Yoga of Driving

Although Los Angeles is a Mecca for yoga, what we’re learning on the mat has not translated so well back into the driver’s seat. With about 10 million people in LA County, driving in this city is like no other, and consequently can evoke stress. I have accepted a few driving absolutes, such as the 405 is ALWAYS a parking lot, going east on the 10 is a nightmare starting around 3pm and the Whole Foods at Santa Monica Blvd. & Fairfax is a cluster at all times. My sister, a fellow Angelino, summed it up poetically by saying, “We’re in a rush to go nowhere. We’re trying to breathe each other’s air.” I have found that our cars and how we choose to maneuver them are metal manifestations of our state of mind. Having machines encapsulate our emotions exacerbates the ego’s desire for isolation, and gives drivers not only an outlet for their pent up anger, but also a disguise (especially those with tinted windows); therefore we do not feel accountable for our road rage, impatience and poor driving habits.

Since living here for the past 3 years I have observed several accidents, been cut off and tailgated countless times, heard no end to angry horns directed at me, had drivers not allow me to get over (after signaling, smiling, waving) and had to miss an exit or turn. I actually witnessed someone spit on another driver that “did them wrong” and just yesterday I saw a woman get out of her SUV and scream at the car behind her. One time I stopped at a red light, waiting to turn right on to Sunset Blvd. The sun was setting, which means rush hour coupled with limited visibility. The guy behind me began to impatiently flair his nostrils. Apparently, I was being too careful for his taste, so he yelled profanities out of his window and went around me, bringing me to tears.

The road from one finger to two is less traveled. We need to start being nicer to each other and remember that there is a human being in each car. Practicing the yoga of driving is a new endeavor for me. The confluence of a few events over the past year and a half made me aspire to become a more yogic driver. First, my boyfriend got into an awful accident (which was not his fault) where he hit a telephone pole and then ping-ponged into a baby stroller. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Second, I had to take my written California driver’s test. I’m a Michigan native and the driving is a lot different back home. Preparing for this test refreshed my skills and made me more aware of the rules of the road. Lastly, I bought a 2007 Toyota Prius. Prior to that I had never owned a car, let alone a new or luxurious one.

With the amount of driving that I do each day, I think that it is a healthy choice to try to practice reacting less, and stop internalizing other people’s hostility or taking their driving decisions personal. I have started to slow down and be more of a cautious, defensive driver. However, since doing so, I find I am in the minority and now irritate people more than ever. Should I go with the fast-paced flow of the city and be more aggressive and angry like everyone else? Or should I be the driver that I wish to see in Los Angeles?